1831: John Curtis, the first white settler in the area, comes to what will eventually be Morton Grove. 1860: “The Little Red Schoolhouse,” first school in the area, opens at Waukegan and Beckwith Roads 1872: The Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad track is laid through Morton Grove. Today, we know this train line as Metra’s MD-N line. 1874: Morton Grove’s first post office is established. 1891: Morton Grove’s first subdivision, Bingham and Fernald’s, is established. 1895: Village of Morton Grove is officially incorporated. 1900: Morton Grove gets its first telephones 1904: The local Volunteer Fire Department is formed 1904: The Morton Grove Exchange, colloquially known as the “Dilg Building” opens near the Morton Grove train station. This building, which would serve as the village hub for the next several decades, contained a tavern, general store, post office, ice cream shop, hotel, and ballroom. It was demolished in 1970. 1910: First local automobile laws are established, prohibiting cars to travel faster than 8 MPH 1919: Morton Grove gets its first paved streets 1919: Sonne Airfield opens in Morton Grove 1920: Outhouses are outlawed in Morton Grove, 8 years after the first sewage lines are laid 1921: Morton Grove’s Doughboy Statue is unveiled by the Women’s War Working Circle, a tribute to Morton Grove men who had fought in WW1. The festival organized for the event became the first of what we today know as Morton Grove Days. 1938: The first Morton Grove Public Library is built 1951: The Morton Grove Park District is established; Harrer Park, named for Morton Grove’s first mayor, becomes its first park. 1970: The Morton Grove Historical Society is formed 1970: The original Pequod’s opens in Morton Grove 1981: Morton Grove’s handgun ban is passed, making international headlines. The ordinance is repealed in 2008 1989: Burt Katz, original founder of Pequod’s, opens his own Morton Grove pizza restaurant, Burt’s Place 1990: Morton Grove’s Muslim Community Center and Education Center opens 1995: Centennial of Morton Grove's founding 2008: John & Mary Helen Slater Education Annex Opens 2013: Eagle Dancer Statue dedicated 2017: Doughboy monument restored and re-dedicated
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.